Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) is an oil company with operations in the United States as well as in Indonesia, the North Sea, and the South China Sea. It has more than 1,300 gas stations in the western part of the United States. ARCO was originally formed by the merger of East Coast-based Atlantic Refining and California-based Richfield Petroleum in 1966. A further merger in 1969 brought in Sinclair Oil Corporation. It became a subsidiary of UK-based BP in 2000 through its BP West Coast Products LLC (BPWCP) affiliate.
Campaign Finance$5,466,503 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Atlantic Richfield
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Atlantic Richfield $7,535,400 Arco Chemical $540,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Environment & Superfund,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Natural Resources,
- Foreign Relations,
RegulationsMentioned in 346 dockets; Submitted to 26 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Atlantic Richfield" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Atlantic Richfield
- Toggle 2 OSHA OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH HAZARDS OF CHEMICALS IN LABORATORIES 2006
- Toggle 2 OSHA CONFINED SPACES 2006
- Toggle 2 OSHA HAZARD COMMUNICATION 2006
- Toggle 2 OSHA METHODS OF COMPLIANCE 2006
- Toggle 2 OSHA MANUAL LIFTING 2006
- Toggle 1 OSHA OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN MOTOR VEHICLES 2006
- Toggle 1 OSHA HAZARDOUS WASTE OPERATIONS 2006
- Toggle 1 OSHA INDOOR AIR QUALITY - Part 2 of 6 2006
- Toggle 1 OSHA RECORDING AND REPORTING OCCUPATIONAL ILLNESSES AND INJURIES 2006
- Toggle 1 OSHA MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE 2006
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Atlantic Richfield
- Toggle 32 EPA Industrial Combustion Coordinated Rulemaking FACA 2004
- Toggle 28 EPA National Priorities List for Uncontrolled Hazardous Waste Sites, Final Rule Number 30 2000
- Toggle 26 FRA Environmental Review of Dakota Minnesota & Eastern Railroad Powder River Expansion Project Loan Application 2006
- Toggle 22 EPA AVAILABILITY OF REPORT TO CONGRESS ON CRUDE OIL, NATURAL GAS AND GEOTHERMAL ENERGY, EXPLORATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PRODUCTION WASTE; ANNOUNCEMENT OF PUBLIC HEARINGS 1988
- Toggle 11 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Organic Liquids Distribution (Non-Gasoline) 2003
- Toggle 7 EPA National Priorities List; Notice of Proposed Rulemaking;ACM Smelter and Refinery 2010
- Toggle 7 EPA Effluent Guidelines Program Plan for 2004/2005. 2003
- Toggle 7 USCG Assessment Framework and Organizational Restatement Regarding Preemption for Certain Regulations Issued by the Coast Guard 2008
- Toggle 7 EPA NonRoad Diesel Tier 4 and NonRoad Diesel Tier 3 Technology Review. 2003
- Toggle 6 EPA National Priorities List, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (Jackpile-Paguate Uranium Mine) 2012
Federal Spending1 contract
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Atlantic Richfield Company||2001||$257,906,020|
EPA Violations27 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Anaconda Copper Mine||Atlantic Richfield Company||2007||Yerington, Nv||$18,000,000|
|Anaconda Smelter Sf Site||Atlantic Richfield Company||2011||Anaconda, Mt||$17,000,000|
|Anaconda Smelter Sf Site/Fluvial Tailings Rdu||Atlantic Richfield Company||2010||Anaconda, Mt||$10,000,000|
|Leviathan Aoc With Arco For Removal And Cost Recovery||Atlantic Richfield Co||2009||Markleeville, Ca||$7,848,317|
|Rico-Argentine Site||Atlantic Richfield Company||2011||Rico, Co||$6,068,000|
|Anaconda Smelter Site/Reg. Water Waste & Soils Ou||Atlantic Richfield Company||2008||Anaconda, Mt||$5,000,000|
|Anaconda Smelter Sf Site||Atlantic Richfield Company||2002||Anaconda, Mt||$5,000,000|
|International Smelting And Refining Site||Atlantic Richfield||2006||Tooele, Ut||$4,000,000|
|Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Plume Site||Atlantic Richfield, Equilon Enterprises, Premcor||2004||Hartford, Il||$4,000,000|
|Anaconda Smelter Site||Atlantic Richfield Company||2007||Anaconda, Mt||$3,500,000|
Advisory Committees2 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Atlantic Richfield" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle National Labor Relations Board 1 person on 1 committee