Assn of American Railroads
The Association of American Railroads (AAR) is an industry trade group representing primarily the major freight railroads of North America (Canada, Mexico and the United States). Amtrak and some regional commuter railroads are also members. Smaller freight railroads are typically represented by the American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association (ASLRRA), although some smaller railroads and railroad holding companies are also members of the Association of American Railroads. The AAR also has two associate member programs, and most associate members are suppliers to the railroad industry.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Assn of American Railroads
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Assn of American Railroads $20,908,054
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Homeland Security,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.1813 MAP-21 H.R.304 To amend the limitation on liability for certain passenger rail accidents or incidents under section 28103 of title 49, United States Code, and for other purposes. H.R.721 Short Line Railroad Rehabilitation and Investment Act of 2011 S.672 Short Line Railroad Rehabilitation and Investment Act of 2011 S.49 Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2011 S.158 Surface Transportation Board Reauthorization Act of 2011 H.R.763 Safe and Efficient Transportation Act of 2011 H.R.801 Truck Weight Uniformity Act of 2011 S.112 A bill to authorize the application of State law with respect to vehicle weight limitations on the Interstate Highway System in the States of Maine and Vermont. H.R.1574 Safe Highways and Infrastructure Preservation Act
RegulationsMentioned in 137 dockets; Submitted to 19 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Assn of American Railroads" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Assn of American Railroads
- Toggle 1 FHWA Environmental Impact and Related Procedures 2012
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Assessment of Hazardous Materials Incident Data Collection, Analysis, Reporting, and Use 2012
- Toggle 1 WHD The Family Medical Leave Act 2012
- Toggle 1 FMCSA Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance; Driver-Vehicle Inspection Report for Intermodal Equipment 2011
- Toggle 1 FRA Association of American Railroads/American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association - Waiver Petition 2011
- Toggle 1 FRA National Highway-Rail Crossing Inventory Rulemaking 2011
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Hazardous Materials; Miscellaenous Admendments 2011
- Toggle 1 ATBCB Proposed Accessibility Guidelines for Pedestrian Facilities in the Public Right-of-Way 2011
- Toggle 1 ATBCB Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Architectural Barriers Act (ABA) Accessibility Guidelines for Shared Use Paths 2011
- Toggle 1 PHMSA United States-Canada Regulatory Cooperation Council (RCC) – Transportation – Dangerous Goods Working Group 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Assn of American Railroads
- Toggle 20 Hazardous Materials: Rail Petitions and Recommendations to Improve the Safety of Railroad Tank Car Transportation 2012
- Toggle 16 FRA American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners, Inc. - Waiver Petition 2011
- Toggle 13 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 12 FRA Positive Train Control Systems Amendments 2011
- Toggle 9 EPA None Unknown
- Toggle 9 EPA None Unknown
- Toggle 7 FRA Positive Train Control Systems; De Minimis Exception, Yard Movement, En Route Failures; Miscellaneous Grade Crossing/Signal and Train Control Amendments 2011
- Toggle 6 EPA Modifications to Renewable Fuel Standard and Diesel Sulfur Programs 2012
- Toggle 6 EPA Approval and Promulgation of Implementation Plans; California; 2007 South Coast State Implementation Plan for 1997 8-hour Ozone Standard and 2007 State Strategy 2011
- Toggle 5 FRA Association of American Railroads/American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association - Waiver Petition 2011