America's Health Insurance Plans
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) is a national political advocacy and trade association with about 1,300 member companies that sell health insurance coverage to more than 200 million Americans. AHIP was formed through the merger of Health Insurance Association of America (HIAA) and American Association of Health Plans (AAHP). AAHP was formed through a merger between two Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) trade associations, Group Health Association of America and American Managed Care and Review Association. AHIP is a member of CAQH, a coalition of healthcare trade associations and health plans that aims to simplify healthcare administration.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationfederal data covers roughly through Q2 2014
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of America's Health Insurance Plans
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount America's Health Insurance Plans $18,150,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Law Enforcement & Crime
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 H.R.3962 Affordable Health Care for America Act S.702 Long-Term Care Affordability and Security Act of 2009 H.R.2096 Long-Term Care Affordability and Security Act of 2009 S.1679 Affordable Health Choices Act H.R.4872 Health Care and Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010 S.1796 America's Healthy Future Act of 2009 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 S.1681 Health Insurance Industry Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2009
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary July 20, 2015 Groom Law Group, Chartered Affordable Care Act section 9010; Internal Revenue Code section 162(m); work regarding disability legislation. IRC sections 4980h, 4980i; Affordable Care Act market reform provisions. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 73 dockets; Submitted to 23 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "America's Health Insurance Plans" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for America's Health Insurance Plans
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Insurance Issuers Implementing Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Requirements under Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Planning and Establishment of State-Level Exchanges: Request for Comments Regarding Exchange-Related Provisions in Title I of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Modifications to the HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rules Under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act; Proposed Rule 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Meaningful use of Healthcare Information Technology 2009
- Toggle 1 HHS Breach Notification Interim Final Rule 2009
- Toggle 1 HHS Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan Program 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Strengthening the Center for Devices and Radiological Health’s 510(k) Review Process; Public Meeting; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 1 EEOC Regulations Under the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 2009
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology: Initial Set of Standards, Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria for Electronic Health Record Technology 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology; Health Information Technology; Request for Information Regarding the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) Report Entitled ‘‘Realizing the Full Potential of Health Information Technology To Improve Healthcare for Americans: The Path Forward 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for America's Health Insurance Plans
- Toggle 10 HHS Medical Loss Ratios; Request for Comments Regarding Section 2718 of the Public Health Service Act 2010
- Toggle 9 CMS Standards for Electronic Health Care Claim Attachments 2010
- Toggle 9 CMS Medicare Advantage Program (Title II) 2010
- Toggle 6 CMS Medicare Drug Benefit Effective CY 2006 (Title I) 2010
- Toggle 4 CMS Electronic Prescribing; Medicare Modernization Act 2010
- Toggle 4 HHS Health Insurance Issuers Implementing Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Requirements under Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 4 CMS Medicare Program; Accountable Care Organizations and the Medicare Shared Saving Program 2010
- Toggle 3 HHS Guidance Specifying the Technologies and Methodologies That Render Protected Health Information Unusable, Unreadable, or Indecipherable to Unauthorized Individuals for Purposes of the Breach Notification Requirements Under Section 13402 of the HITECH Act; Request for Information 2009
- Toggle 3 CMS Request for Information Regarding Sections 101 through 104 of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 2009
- Toggle 3 FDA Availability of Information Related to the Sentinel Initiative 2009
Federal Spending5 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Americas Health Insurance Plans||2009||Centers For Disease Control||200-2002-00732 - AAHP - VACCINE SAFETY DATALINK||$16,243,110|
|Americas Health Insurance Plans||2010||Centers For Disease Control||TAS::75 0943::TAS 200-2002-00732 - AAHP - VACCINE SAFETY DATALINK||$12,324,386|
|Americas Health Insurance Plans||2009||Centers For Disease Control||200-2002-00732 - AAHP - VACCINE SAFETY DATALINK||$10,528,048|
|Americas Health Insurance Plans||2010||Centers For Disease Control||TAS::75 0140::TAS AHIP - VACCINE SAFETY DATALINK, 200-2002-00732||$4,992,230|
|Americas Health Insurance Plans||2010||Centers For Disease Control||TAS::75 0140::TAS AHIP - VACCINE SAFETY DATALINK, 200-2002-00732||$2,649,935|