American Water Works
American Water (NYSE: AWK) is a public utility company operating in the United States and Canada. It was founded in 1886 as the American Water Works & Guarantee Company. In 1947 it was reorganized as American Water Works Company, Inc. The company was a subsidiary of the German-based RWE Group from 2001 to 2008, but the company was divested on April 23, 2008 in an IPO on the NYSE.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of American Water Works
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1802 Sustainable Water Infrastructure Investment Act of 2011 S.939 Sustainable Water Infrastructure Investment Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 130 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "American Water Works" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for American Water Works
- Toggle 1 NRC Draft Regulatory Issue Summary Regarding Submittal of Amendments for Processing of Equivalent Feed at Licensed Uranium Recovery Facilities 2011
- Toggle 1 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 1 LMSO Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; Interpretation of the "Advice" Exemption 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for American Water Works
- Toggle 28 EPA NPDES - Reissuance of the Vessel General Permit for Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Vessels (VGP) 2011
- Toggle 26 EPA Consumer Confidence Reports for Primary Drinking Water Regulations: Retrospective Review (2.26) 2012
- Toggle 16 NHTSA Environmental Impact Statement for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)Standards, Model Years 2017-2025 2011
- Toggle 15 EPA Draft Guidance on Identifying Waters Protected by the Clean Water Act 2011
- Toggle 14 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 12 EPA Notice of Availability of Draft Criteria and Request for Scientific Views 2011
- Toggle 11 EPA Stormwater Discharges from Forest Roads 2012
- Toggle 10 FDA Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption 2011
- Toggle 8 FWS Four Central Texas Salamanders 2012
- Toggle 8 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) Reporting Rule 2011
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "American Water Works" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 1 person on 1 committee