American Medical Assn
The American Medical Association (AMA), founded in 1847 and incorporated in 1897, is the largest association of physicians and medical students in the United States.
Campaign Finance$29,962,860 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of American Medical Assn
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount American Medical Assn $272,832,000 Massachusetts Medical Society $2,840,000 Texas Medical Assn $745,000 California Medical Assn $645,000 Georgia Medical Assn $378,000 North Carolina Medical Society $0
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3962 Affordable Health Care for America Act H.R.5 Help Efficient, Accessible, Low-cost, Timely Healthcare (HEALTH) Act of 2011 H.R.452 Medicare Decisions Accountability Act of 2011 H.R.1700 Medicare Patient Empowerment Act H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 H.R.3961 Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act of 2009 H.R.3630 Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2011 H.R.4872 Health Care and Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010
RegulationsMentioned in 1304 dockets; Submitted to 73 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "American Medical Assn" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for American Medical Assn
- Toggle 3 FDA Regulation of Tobacco Products; Request for Comments 2009
- Toggle 3 FDA Prescription Drug User Fee Act; Public Meeting 2010
- Toggle 2 HHS Health Information Technology; HIT Policy Committee: Request for Comment Regarding the Stage 3 Definition of Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) 2012
- Toggle 2 IRS Withholding on Payments by Government Entities to Persons Providing Property or Services 2011
- Toggle 2 HHS Ensuring that Department of Health and Human Services Funds Do Not Support Coercive or Discriminatory Policies or Practices In Violation of Federal Law 2008
- Toggle 2 DEA Dispensing of Controlled Substances to Residents at Long Term Care Facilities 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Insurance Issuers Implementing Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Requirements under Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Planning and Establishment of State-Level Exchanges: Request for Comments Regarding Exchange-Related Provisions in Title I of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Medical Devices: Neurological Devices; Electroconvulsive Therapy Device; Establishing a Public Docket 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Tobacco Product Advertising and Promotion to Youth and Racial and Ethnic Minority Populations; Request for Comments 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for American Medical Assn
- Toggle 268 CMS Medicare Program; Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule, DME Face-to-Face Encounters, Elimination of the Requirement for Termination of Non-Random Prepayment Complex Medical Review and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2013 (CMS-1590-P) 2012
- Toggle 153 HHS Rescission of the Regulation entitled "Ensuring That Department of Health and Human Services Funds Do Not Support Coercive or Discriminatory Policies or Practices in Violation of Federal Law"; Proposal 2009
- Toggle 143 CMS Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule for Calendar Year 2005 2010
- Toggle 112 CMS Medicare Program; Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2010 2009
- Toggle 110 CMS Medicare Program; Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2012 2011
- Toggle 73 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Coal- and Oil-fired Electric Utility Steam Generating Units 2009
- Toggle 70 CMS Medicare Program; Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2011 2010
- Toggle 67 FDA Drug Approvals: Circumstances under which an active ingredient may be simultaneously marketed in both a prescription drug product and an over-the-counter drug product 2005
- Toggle 64 CMS Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule, and Other Part B Payment Policies; Revisions to Payment Policies for Ambulance Services for CY 2008; and the Proposed Elimination of the E-Rx Exemption for Computer-Generated Faxes*** 2010
- Toggle 63 EPA Review of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Ozone 2005
Federal Spending1 grant
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|American Medical Association||2004||Office Of Justice Programs||FISCAL YEAR 2004 COMPETITIVE TRAINING GRANTS PROGRAM||$1,000,000|
Advisory Committees24 people on 27 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "American Medical Assn" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 20 people on 22 committees
- Toggle Department of Defense 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Justice 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Labor 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle National Science Foundation 1 person on 1 committee