American Federation of Teachers
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) is an American labor union founded in 1916 that represents teachers, paraprofessionals and school-related personnel; local, state and federal employees; higher education faculty and staff, and nurses and other healthcare professionals. It is affiliated with the AFL-CIO.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's September 30, 2010 filing. independent expenditures updated daily.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Independent Expendituresmoney spent supporting or opposing a candidate
Candidate Support/Oppose Total Spent Vincent GraySupport $721,600 Alan GraysonSupport $420,000 Cedric RichmondSupport $414,000 Patrick MurphySupport $239,940 John CarneySupport $190,000 Carol Shea PorterSupport $122,088 Frank GuintaOppose $61,044 Kendrick MeeksSupport $56,281 Doug HoffmanOppose $48,250
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of American Federation of Teachers
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount American Federation of Teachers $2,058,711
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Health Issues,
- Civil Rights & Civil Liberties,
- District of Columbia,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Clean Air & Water,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 H.R.1586 FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act H.R.3545 Full-Service Community Schools Act of 2009 H.R.847 James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 H.R.5096 Diverse Teachers Recruitment Act of 2010 S.1552 Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act of 2009 H.R.413 Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act of 2009 H.R.3017 Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2009 H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.5504 Improving Nutrition for America's Children Act
RegulationsMentioned in 40 dockets; Submitted to 14 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "American Federation of Teachers" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for American Federation of Teachers
- Toggle 2 ED School Improvement Grants -- Notice of Proposed Requirements 2009
- Toggle 2 ED Race to the Top Fund -- Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 2 LMSO Trust Annual Reports 2009
- Toggle 1 ED Teacher Incentive Fund 2010
- Toggle 1 ED Gainful Employment--Student Assistance General Provisions--34 CFR Part 668 2010
- Toggle 1 LMSO Labor Organization Officer and Employee Reports [Form LM-30]; Proposed Rule 2010
- Toggle 1 ED Program Integrity Issues--Title IV, Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended--34 CFR Part 600, 602, 603, 668, 682, 685, 686, 690, and 691 2010
- Toggle 1 ED Investing in Innovation--Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 1 ED State Fiscal Stabilization Fund -- Notice of Proposed Requirements, Definitions, and Approval Criteria 2009
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for American Federation of Teachers
- Toggle 10 ED Race to the Top Fund -- Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 7 ED School Improvement Grants -- Notice of Proposed Requirements 2009
- Toggle 5 ED Gainful Employment--Student Assistance General Provisions--34 CFR Part 668 2010
- Toggle 3 LMSO Trust Annual Reports 2009
- Toggle 2 ED Investing in Innovation--Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 2 OFCCP Affirmative Action and Nondiscrimination Obligations of Contractors and Subcontractors Regarding Individuals with Disabilities 2010
- Toggle 2 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 2 ED Proposed Priorities for Department of Education Discretionary Grant Programs 2010
- Toggle 2 ED Teacher Incentive Fund 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Insurance Issuers Implementing Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Requirements under Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "American Federation of Teachers" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Labor 1 person on 1 committee