American Federation of Teachers
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) is an American labor union founded in 1916 that represents teachers, paraprofessionals and school-related personnel; local, state and federal employees; higher education faculty and staff, and nurses and other healthcare professionals. It is affiliated with the AFL-CIO.
Campaign Finance$107,504,004 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of American Federation of Teachers
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount American Federation of Teachers $12,541,162
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- District of Columbia,
- Civil Rights & Civil Liberties
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 H.R.1586 FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act H.R.2218 Empowering Parents through Quality Charter Schools Act H.R.3545 Full-Service Community Schools Act of 2009 H.R.847 James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 H.R.2434 Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.2445 State and Local Funding Flexibility Act H.R.5096 Diverse Teachers Recruitment Act of 2010 H.R.5140 Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus for the American People Act of 2008 S.426 Developing Innovative Partnerships and Learning Opportunities that Motivate Achievement Act
RegulationsMentioned in 163 dockets; Submitted to 32 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "American Federation of Teachers" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for American Federation of Teachers
- Toggle 2 ED School Improvement Grants -- Notice of Proposed Requirements 2009
- Toggle 2 IRS Shared Responsibility for Employers Regarding Health Coverage 2013
- Toggle 2 ED Race to the Top Fund -- Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 2 National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs: Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in School, as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 2011
- Toggle 2 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
- Toggle 2 LMSO Trust Annual Reports 2009
- Toggle 1 ED Proposed priorities, requirements, definitions and selection criteria; Teacher Incentive Fund (TIF) program 2012
- Toggle 1 Request for Information Regarding an Initiative To Promote Student Loan Affordability 2013
- Toggle 1 ED Teacher Incentive Fund 2010
- Toggle 1 ED Gainful Employment--Student Assistance General Provisions--34 CFR Part 668 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for American Federation of Teachers
- Toggle 11 OSHA TUBERCULOSIS 2006
- Toggle 10 ED Race to the Top Fund -- Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 7 ED School Improvement Grants -- Notice of Proposed Requirements 2009
- Toggle 7 OSHA ERGONOMICS PROGRAM 2006
- Toggle 6 ESA Request for Information on the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 2006
- Toggle 5 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 5 ESA Family and Medical Leave Act Notice of Proposed Rulemaking 29 CFR Part 825 2008
- Toggle 5 ED Gainful Employment--Student Assistance General Provisions--34 CFR Part 668 2010
- Toggle 4 OSHA TUBERCULOSIS 2006
- Toggle 4 USCG Implementation of National Maritime Security Initiatives 2003
Advisory Committees21 people on 11 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "American Federation of Teachers" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Labor 16 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of Education 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Competitiveness Policy Council 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Transportation 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 1 committee