American Express Company (NYSE: AXP), sometimes known as AmEx, is a diversified global financial services company headquartered in New York City. Founded in 1850, it is one of the 30 components of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The company is best known for its credit card, charge card, and traveler's cheque businesses. Amex cards account for approximately 24% of the total dollar volume of credit card transactions in the US, the highest of any card issuer.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of American Express
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount American Express $5,910,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Travel & Tourism,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1586 FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act S.1212 Credit Card Fair Fee Act of 2009 H.R.2695 Credit Card Fair Fee Act of 2009 H.R.1020 Arbitration Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.22 United States Postal Service Financial Relief Act of 2009 H.R.1083 Business Activity Tax Simplification Act of 2009 H.R.1897 Healthy Workforce Act of 2009 H.R.1944 S.722 Taxpayer Certainty and Relief Act of 2009 S.803 Healthy Workforce Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 97 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "American Express" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for American Express
- Toggle 3 IRS Information Reporting for Payments Made in Settlement of Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions 2009
- Toggle 1 FINCEN Amendment to the Bank Secrecy Act Regulations – Definitions and Other Regulations Relating to Money Services Businesses 2009
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for American Express
- Toggle 10 FINCEN Amendment to the Bank Secrecy Act Regulations – Definitions and Other Regulations Relating to Prepaid Access 2009
- Toggle 7 DOT Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections 2010
- Toggle 4 IRS Information Reporting for Payments Made in Settlement of Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions 2009
- Toggle 3 FDA Advisory Committee, Workshops, and Conferences Notices Various Meetings Notices (eg., Task Force Meeting, etc.) 2010
- Toggle 3 FDA FDA is Requesting Data, Information, and Views and Hosting a Web-Based Public Meeting to Discuss Issues Related to the Development of an Enforcement Action Plan 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Advisory Committee, Workshops, and Conferences Notices Various Meetings Notices (eg., Task Force Meeting, etc.) 2009
- Toggle 2 FAA RDM, LLC v. Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (TSAIA) 2010
- Toggle 2 FRS Electronic Fund Transfers 2009
- Toggle 2 DOT Notice of Order Soliciting Community Proposals 2009
- Toggle 2 FMCSA ESC - In the Matter of Riverside Petroleum Co. - Field Administrator’s Consent to Binding Arbitration 2009