American Express Company (NYSE: AXP), sometimes known as AmEx, is a diversified global financial services company headquartered in New York City. Founded in 1850, it is one of the 30 components of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The company is best known for its credit card, charge card, and traveler's cheque businesses. Amex cards account for approximately 24% of the total dollar volume of credit card transactions in the US, the highest of any card issuer.
Campaign Finance$10,068,546 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of American Express
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount American Express $32,920,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Travel & Tourism,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1586 FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act S.1212 Credit Card Fair Fee Act of 2009 H.R.2695 Credit Card Fair Fee Act of 2009 H.R.1020 Arbitration Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.5546 Credit Card Fair Fee Act of 2008 S.968 PIPA H.R.698 Industrial Bank Holding Company Act of 2007 H.R.1081 Consumers Payment System Protection Act H.R.5244 Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights Act of 2008 S.1356 Industrial Bank Holding Company Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 505 dockets; Submitted to 21 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "American Express" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for American Express
- Toggle 6 DOT American Airlines, Inc., British Airways Plc, Finnair Oyj, Iberia Lineas Aereas de Expana, S.A. and Royal Jordanian Airlines - Approval of and Antirust Immunity for Alliance Agreements 2008
- Toggle 3 DOT 2005/2006 U.S.-China Air Services Case and Designations 2004
- Toggle 3 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Computer Reservation System (CRS) Regulations (Part 255) 1997
- Toggle 3 IRS Information Reporting for Payments Made in Settlement of Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions 2009
- Toggle 2 DOT 2007, 2008, 2009 US-China Air Services and Combination Frequency Allocation Procedure 2007
- Toggle 1 OTS Procedures to Enhance the Accuracy and Integrity of Information Furnished to Consumer Reporting Agencies under Section 312 of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act 2007
- Toggle 1 OTS Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices 2008
- Toggle 1 DOT 2007 U.S.-China Frequency Allocation Proceeding 2006
- Toggle 1 OCC Risk-Based Capital Guidelines; Capital Adequacy Guidelines; Capital Maintenance: Domestic Capital Modifications 2006
- Toggle 1 EBSA Prohibited Transaction Exemption for Provision of Investment Advice to Individual Retirement and Similar Plans 2006
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for American Express
- Toggle 88 DOT 2007 U.S.-China Frequency Allocation Proceeding 2006
- Toggle 80 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Computer Reservation System (CRS) Regulations (Part 255) 1997
- Toggle 51 DOT Association of Retail Travel Agents - Emergency Petition for Rulemaking 1998
- Toggle 48 DOT America West Airlines, Inc. - Petition for Rulemaking - Amendment of Part 255 1997
- Toggle 33 DOT Amadeus Global Travel Distribution S.A. - Petition for Interpretation of Computer Reservations Systems Regulations 1999
- Toggle 25 DOT 2005/2006 U.S.-China Air Services Case and Designations 2004
- Toggle 21 DOT American Airlines, Inc., British Airways Plc, Finnair Oyj, Iberia Lineas Aereas de Expana, S.A. and Royal Jordanian Airlines - Approval of and Antirust Immunity for Alliance Agreements 2008
- Toggle 15 DOT Solicitation of Proposals from Interested Communities 2002
- Toggle 12 DOT Virgin Nigeria Airways Limited - Exemption - U.S.-Nigeria 2005
- Toggle 12 FDA Section 301. Foreign Supplier Verification Program 2011
EPA Violations1 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Petroleum Products Corporation||American Express (+84 others)||2001||Pembroke Pines, Fl||$1,017,197|
Advisory Committees10 people on 10 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "American Express" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Commerce 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 2 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Small Business Administration 1 person on 1 committee