American Assn for Justice
The American Association for Justice (AAJ), formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA) is the leading organization for lawyers representing plaintiffs in the United States. AAJ states that it "promotes justice and fairness for injured persons, safeguards victims' rights--particularly the right to trial by jury--and strengthens the civil justice system through education and disclosure of information critical to public health and safety." It provides information and professional assistance to its members. It is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Campaign Finance$21,323,156 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Bundled ContributionsMoney raised by the firm from multiple donors on behalf of the recipient. The firm's own contributions are not included.
Recipient Lobbyist Amount Future $434,775 Russ Feingold $21,650
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of American Assn for Justice
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount American Assn for Justice $35,075,738
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Government Issues,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Aviation, Airlines & Airports
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.5 Help Efficient, Accessible, Low-cost, Timely Healthcare (HEALTH) Act of 2011 H.R.1346 Medical Device Safety Act of 2009 S.540 Medical Device Safety Act of 2009 H.R.1020 Arbitration Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.1237 Fairness in Nursing Home Arbitration Act of 2009 S.512 Fairness in Nursing Home Arbitration Act H.R.1063 Strengthening Medicare And Repaying Taxpayers Act of 2011 S.437 H.R.847 James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 H.R.2519
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary Oct. 4, 2013 WilmerHale Medicare Secondary Payor View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 101 dockets; Submitted to 68 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "American Assn for Justice" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for American Assn for Justice
- Toggle 3 FRA Improving the Safety of Railroad Tank Car Transportation of Hazardous Materials 2006
- Toggle 3 Proposed Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 2013
- Toggle 2 FDA FDA Transparency Task Force; Public Meeting 2009
- Toggle 2 NHTSA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Confidential Business Information 2006
- Toggle 1 NHTSA Federal Moter Vehicle Safety Standards; Platform Lifts for Motor Vehicles; Platform Lift Installations in Motor Vehicles 2007
- Toggle 1 FMCSA Hours of Service of Drivers 2004
- Toggle 1 FDA Strengthening the Center for Devices and Radiological Health’s 510(k) Review Process; Public Meeting; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 1 NHTSA Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Brake Hoses 2007
- Toggle 1 FRA Railroad Operating Rules: Program of Operational Tests and Inspections; Railroad Operating Practices: Handling Equipment, Switches, and Derails 2006
- Toggle 1 NHTSA Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Seating Systems; Occupant Crash Protection, Seat Belt Assembly Anchorages, School Bus Passenger Seating and Crash Protection 2007
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for American Assn for Justice
- Toggle 6 FRA Regulatory Relief for Electronically Controlled Pneumatic Brake System Implementation 2006
- Toggle 5 FRA Improving the Safety of Railroad Tank Car Transportation of Hazardous Materials 2006
- Toggle 4 NHTSA Rewrite of FMVSS No. 108 - Final Rule 2007
- Toggle 4 FRA Amendments to Accident/Incident Reporting Requirements 2006
- Toggle 4 NHTSA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Confidential Business Information 2006
- Toggle 4 Proposed Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 2013
- Toggle 3 FRA Railroad Operating Rules: Program of Operational Tests and Inspections; Railroad Operating Practices: Handling Equipment, Switches, and Derails 2006
- Toggle 3 FRA Passenger Equipment Safety Standards; Front-End Strength of Multiple-Unit Locomotives and Cab Cars 2006
- Toggle 3 FRA Track Safety Standards; Continuous Welded Rail (CWR) 2008
- Toggle 2 FRA Restriction of Improper Use of Cellular Telephone and Other Electronic and Electric Devices 2009