Altria Group, Inc. (NYSE: MO) (previously named Philip Morris Companies Inc.), based in Henrico County, Virginia, is the parent company of Philip Morris USA; John Middleton, Inc.; United States Smokeless Tobacco, Inc.; Philip Morris Capital Corporation; and Ste Michelle Wine Estates. It is one of the world's largest tobacco corporations. Philip Morris International was spun off in 2008. In addition, Altria Group, Inc. has a 28.7% economic and voting interest in one of the world's largest brewing companies, UK based SABMiller plc. It is a component of the S&P; 500 and was a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average until February 19, 2008. The company has its head offices in unincorporated Henrico County, Virginia.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's March 22, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Altria Group
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Altria Client Services $21,570,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Food Industry,
- Foreign Relations
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4134 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to clarify that any person who, for a commercial purpose, makes available for consumer use a machine capable of producing tobacco products, is a manufacturer of tobacco products. H.R.1639 Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011 S.1813 MAP-21 H.R.1 Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 S.174 Healthy Lifestyles and Prevention America Act S.1461 Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011 H.R.942 American Research and Competitiveness Act of 2011 H.R.658 FAA Reauthorization and Reform Act of 2011 H.R.3186 Smuggled Tobacco Prevention Act of 2011 H.R.4348 Transportation Research and Innovative Technology Act of 2012
RegulationsMentioned in 24 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Altria Group" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Altria Group
- Toggle 4 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 4 FDA Initiate a Rulemaking Procedure to Adjust the Text of a Smokeless Tobacco ("ST") Product Warning Label Statement 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry: Applications for Premarket Review of New Tobacco Products; Availability; Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Regulations Restricting the Sale and Distribution of Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco to Protect Children and Adolescents 2011
- Toggle 1 USTR 2012 Special 301 Review 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA FDA Actions Related to Nicotine Replacement Therapies and Smoking-Cessation Products; Report to Congress on Innovative Products and Treatments for Tobacco Dependence; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff; Demonstrating the Substantial Equivalence of a New Tobacco Product: Responses to Frequently Asked Questions; Availability 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Further Amendments to General Regulations of the Food and Drug Administration to Incorporate Tobacco Products 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Scientific Evaluation of Modified Risk Tobacco Product Applications; Public Workshop; Request for Comments 2011
- Toggle 1 CMS Medicaid Program; Covered Outpatient Drugs (CMS-2345-P) 2012