Aetna, Inc. (pronounced /ˈɛtnə/; NYSE: AET) is an American health insurance company, providing a range of traditional and consumer directed health care insurance products and related services, including medical, pharmaceutical, dental, behavioral health, group life, long-term care, and disability plans, and medical management capabilities. Aetna is a member of the Fortune 100.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Aetna Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Aetna Inc $8,019,926
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Government Issues,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.605 Patients' Freedom to Choose Act S.312 Patients' Freedom to Choose Act H.R.2010 Family and Retirement Health Investment Act of 2011 S.1089 Veterans Health Care Improvement Act of 2011 H.R.2 Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act H.R.1050 Small Business Health Fairness Act of 2011 H.R.1206 Access to Professional Health Insurance Advisors Act of 2011 H.R.371 Health Care Choice Act of 2011 H.R.4 Small Business Paperwork Mandate Elimination Act of 2011 H.R.2077 MLR Repeal Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 126 dockets; Submitted to 11 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Aetna Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Aetna Inc
- Toggle 2 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
- Toggle 2 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS Planning and Establishment of Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan Program; Request for Comments Regarding Provisions of Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan Program 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology; Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria: Electronic Health Record Technology, 2014 Edition 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology; HIT Policy Committee: Request for Comment Regarding the Stage 3 Definition of Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Exchange Functions in the Individual Market: Eligibility Determinations; Standards for Verification of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage, Employer Appeals, and Employer SHOP Participation 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS State Requirements for Exchange--Reinsurance and Risk Adjustments 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS Proposed Data Collection Standards for Race, Ethnicity, Primary Language, Sex, and Disability Status Required by Section 4302 of the Affordable Care Act 2011
- Toggle 1 HHSIG Waiver Designs in Connection with the Medicare Shared Savings Program and Innovation Center 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS Rate Increase Disclosure and Review (Premium Rate Review) 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Aetna Inc
- Toggle 16 CMS Exchanges Part II--Standards Related to Essential Health Benefits; Health Insurance Issuer and Exchange Responsibilities with Respect to Actuarial Value, Quality, and Accreditation CMS-9980-P 2012
- Toggle 8 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 8 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
- Toggle 7 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 5 FAR Federal Acquisition Regulation; FAR Case 2011-001; Organizational Conflicts of Interest 2011
- Toggle 5 CMS Student Health Insurance Coverage 2011
- Toggle 4 EPA Draft Guidance on Identifying Waters Protected by the Clean Water Act 2011
- Toggle 4 HHS Exchange Functions in the Individual Market: Eligibility Determinations; Standards for Verification of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage, Employer Appeals, and Employer SHOP Participation 2011
- Toggle 4 CMS Electronic Health Record Incentive Program – Stage 2 "Meaningful Use" 2012
- Toggle 4 CMS Certain Preventive Services Under the Affordable Care Act 2012
Advisory Committees2 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.