Aetna, Inc. (pronounced /ˈɛtnə/; NYSE: AET) is an American health insurance company, providing a range of traditional and consumer directed health care insurance products and related services, including medical, pharmaceutical, dental, behavioral health, group life, long-term care, and disability plans, and medical management capabilities. Aetna is a member of the Fortune 100.
Campaign Finance$10,359,522 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Aetna Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Aetna Inc $39,684,345
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Government Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.605 Patients' Freedom to Choose Act S.312 Patients' Freedom to Choose Act H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 S.1679 Affordable Health Choices Act H.R.2010 Family and Retirement Health Investment Act of 2011 S.1089 Veterans Health Care Improvement Act of 2011 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 H.R.1583 Insurance Industry Competition Act of 2009 H.R.1427 Promoting Innovation and Access to Life-Saving Medicine Act
RegulationsMentioned in 514 dockets; Submitted to 32 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Aetna Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Aetna Inc
- Toggle 4 HHS Group Health Plans and Health Insurance Coverage: Interim Final Rules for Relating to Status as a Grandfathered Health Plan under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 2 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
- Toggle 2 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 2 OSHA NOISE 2006
- Toggle 2 OSHA MANUAL LIFTING 2006
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Insurance Issuers Implementing Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Requirements under Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Planning and Establishment of State-Level Exchanges: Request for Comments Regarding Exchange-Related Provisions in Title I of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Meaningful use of Healthcare Information Technology 2009
- Toggle 1 OSHA OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN MOTOR VEHICLES 2006
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Insurance Issuers Relating to Rate Increase Disclosure and Review Relating to Ensuring that Consumers Get Value for Their Dollars under the Affordable Care Act 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Aetna Inc
- Toggle 112 EBSA The Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 2009
- Toggle 56 IRS Request for Information for Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 2009
- Toggle 27 NHTSA U.S. DOT/NHTSA - Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) 2005
- Toggle 16 CMS Exchanges Part II--Standards Related to Essential Health Benefits; Health Insurance Issuer and Exchange Responsibilities with Respect to Actuarial Value, Quality, and Accreditation CMS-9980-P 2012
- Toggle 14 EPA Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program: Federal Requirements for Class VI Injection Wells for the Geologic Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide - Proposed Rule 2008
- Toggle 12 CMS The Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 2009
- Toggle 9 CMS Medicare Program; Accountable Care Organizations and the Medicare Shared Saving Program 2010
- Toggle 9 EPA Hazardous Waste Management System; Modification of the Hazardous Waste Program; Hazardous Waste Lamps; Final Rule 1999
- Toggle 8 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 8 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
Advisory Committees13 people on 11 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Aetna Inc" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 7 people on 6 committees
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of State 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Labor 1 person on 1 committee