3M Company (NYSE: MMM), formerly known as the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, is an American multinational conglomerate corporation based in Maplewood, Minnesota, a suburb of St. Paul.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q3 2013. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of 3M Co
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount 3M Co $10,500,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Environment & Superfund,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Homeland Security,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.17 Medical Device Access and Innovation Protection Act H.R.436 Protect Medical Innovation Act of 2011 H.R.825 Surface Transportation Safety Act of 2011 H.R.1249 America Invents Act S.23 Patent Reform Act of 2011 H.R.5325 Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013 S.1000 Energy Savings and Industrial Competitiveness Act of 2011 S.2465 Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013 S.918 Surface Transportation Safety Act of 2011 H.R.5856 Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2013
RegulationsMentioned in 484 dockets; Submitted to 10 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "3M Co" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for 3M Co
- Toggle 3 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 3 LMSO Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; Interpretation of the "Advice" Exemption 2011
- Toggle 1 ITA Request for Public Comments Concerning Regulatory Cooperation between the United States and the European Union that Would Help Eliminate or Reduce Unnecessary Divergences in Regulation and in Standards Used in Regulation that Impede U.S. Exports 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Taxable Medical Devices 2012
- Toggle 1 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Dicamba and Glufosinate Tolerant Cotton 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology; Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria: Electronic Health Record Technology, 2014 Edition 2012
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Hazardous Materials Harmonization with the United Nations Recommendations, International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code, and the International Civil Organization Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air HM-215L 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA Reprocessing of Reusable Medical Devices; Public Workshop 2011
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments on Possible Negotiations in the World Trade Organization to Expand the Information Technology Agreement, including Its Product Coverage 2011
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Hazardous Materials; Miscellaneous Amendments Pertaining to DOT Specification Cylinders 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for 3M Co
- Toggle 29 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 15 EPA Perfluoroalkyl Sulfonates and Long-Chain Perfluoroalkyl Carboxylate Chemical Substances Used as Part of Carpets; Proposed Significant New Use Rule 2012
- Toggle 15 EPA NPDES - Reissuance of the Vessel General Permit for Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Vessels (VGP) 2011
- Toggle 12 OMB Reform of Federal Policies Relating to Grants and Cooperative Agreements; Cost Principles and Administrative Requirements (including Single Audit Act) 2012
- Toggle 12 EPA None 2013
- Toggle 11 EPA Significant New Use Rules on Certain Chemical Substances 2011
- Toggle 10 CMS FY 2012 Changes to the Hospital Inpatient Prospective Payment Systems for Acute Care Hospitals and the Long Term Care Hospital Prospective Payment System and FY 2012 Rates 2011
- Toggle 9 EPA Proposed Confidentiality Determinations for Eight Subparts of the Mandatory Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule 2011
- Toggle 9 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutant Emissions: Group IV Polymers and Resins, Pesticide Active Ingredient Production, and Polyether Polyols Production Risk and Technology Review 2011
- Toggle 8 FWS Petition to List the African Lion (Panthera leo leo) As Endangered 2012
Federal Spending5 grants; 15 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|3M Company||2012||FUNDING STAF||$6,492,976|
|3M Company||2011||ADD FUNDS - REMOVE STAF||$6,241,826|
|3M Company||2012||MOD 2 - REVOKE SAF FOR BASE POP||$4,498,924|
|3M Company||2011||SAME AS ITEM 0001||$4,075,339|
|3M Company||2012||HDD RE-DESING AND SUSTAINMENT||$3,344,000|
|3M Company||2012||Energy, Department Of||HIGH PERFORMANCE, DURABLE, LOW COST MEMBRANE ELECTRODE ASSEMBLIES FOR TRANSPORTATION APPLICATIONS||$2,858,664|
|3M Company||2012||Energy, Department Of||NEXT GENERATION SOLAR COLLECTORS FOR CSP||$2,040,656|
|3M Company||2011||Energy, Department Of||NEW AWARD- " ENERGY REDUCTION AND ADVANCED WATER REMOVAL VIA MEMBRANE SOLVENT-EXTRACTION TECHNOLOGY (MSE)"||$1,940,089|
|3M Company||2011||RESALE INEDIBLE ITEMS||$1,863,899|
|3M Company||2011||R&D - IR REFLECTIVE GLAZING FILMS RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT||$1,839,278|
Advisory Committees6 people on 6 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "3M Co" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 1 person on 1 committee